In Resources

It’s common knowledge to call 911 to reach emergency services, but do you know what service you get connected to when you call 211, 311, 411, 511 or 811?

Many people don’t know that these phone-based information portals exist and how they can help.

211: Staff at 211 Edmonton provide information and referrals for a wide range of community, social, health and government services in Edmonton. The service is available 24/7 and is free. A special service of 211 is the Seniors Information Phone Line which provides information on programs, services, and supports for seniors. To reach the Seniors Information Phone Line dial 2-1-1 and press 2.

311: Callers to 311 will get information on municipal programs and services provided by the City of Edmonton.

411: This is the number for directory assistance. Note that there is a fee for this service.

511: 511 is the number to call if you need information on Alberta road conditions.

811: Calling 811 will connect you to Health Link. Health Link is Alberta’s free, 24/7 health information and advice service. The service is staffed by registered nurses and other health professionals who provide health advice and navigation services.

911: Call 911 if you need emergency services such as police, fire and ambulance.

The Edmonton Seniors Coordinating Council has developed a handy resource that briefly outlines these phone numbers and the information you’ll get when you call the numbers.

You’re welcome to download a PDF copy (8.5 x 11 inches) of the Helping seniors make the best connection list. Or if you would like free copies of the postcard (5.5 x 8.5 inches) to distribute to seniors you support, contact Janelle at